Assemble purchased components
- 1 Install mirrors into corresponding mirror mounts
- 2 Install optical elements into corresponding fixed optical mounts
- 2.1 Ø1/2" spherical lenses into Ø1/2" lens mounts
- 2.2 Ø1/2" alignment disk into Ø1/2" lens mount
- 2.3 Ø1" cylindrical lens into indexed rotating mount
- 3 Assembly of OpenSPIM Chamber
- 4 Assembly of the motor system
- 5 Next steps
Install mirrors into corresponding mirror mounts
Ø1" mirrors into Ø1" mirror mount
- 3x ThorLabs part #: BB1-E02 Ø1" (Ø25.4 mm) mirror goes into
- 3x ThorLabs part #: POLARIS-K1 Ø1" (Ø25.4 mm) PolarisTM Low Drift Kinematic Mirror Mount
- 1x 2 mm hex key/driver
How to install the mirrors into their respective mirror mounts
Take both components out of their respective boxes and put the mirror inside the mount with its reflective side facing the front, then tighten the setscrew to hold the mirror firmly in place.
Note that our OpenSPIM prototype system in Dresden uses only the larger mirrors.
Install optical elements into corresponding fixed optical mounts
Ø1/2" spherical lenses into Ø1/2" lens mounts
- 2x ThorLabs part #: AC127-025-A-ML Ø1/2" (Ø12.7 mm) SM05-Mounted f = 25 mm achromatic spherical lens doublet and
- 2x ThorLabs part #: AC127-050-A-ML Ø1/2" (Ø12.7 mm) SM05-Mounted f = 50 mm achromatic spherical lens doublet thread into
- 4x ThorLabs part #: LMR05/M Ø1/2" (Ø12.7 mm) lens mounts
How to install the spherical lenses into their optical mounts
Take both components out of their respective boxes and screw the lens' external threading into the lens mount's internal threading.
Ø1/2" alignment disk into Ø1/2" lens mount
- 2x ThorLabs part #: DG05-1500-H1-MD Ø1/2" (Ø12.7 mm) SM05-Mounted Frosted Glass Alignment Disk with Ø1 mm Hole threads into
- 2x ThorLabs part #: LMR05/M Ø1/2" (Ø12.7 mm) lens mount
Take both components out of their respective boxes and screw the mounted alignment disk's external threading into the lens mount's internal threading. Same as last step, watch the video to get a good idea how to do it.
Ø1" cylindrical lens into indexed rotating mount
- 1x ThorLabs part #: ACY254-050-A Ø1" f = 50 mm achromatic cylindrical lens doublet
- 1x ThorLabs part #: RSP1X15/M Ø1" indexed rotating mount
- 1x 1.3 mm hex key/driver
How to assemble the cylindrical lens system
Take both components out of their respective boxes, and after taking the Ø1" external threaded ring out, put the lens inside the mount with its arrow on the banding pointing in the direction of the light path. Use the SM1 Spanner Wrench to put the ring back into the threading and tighten until the lens does not move.
Align the rotation using a 1.3 mm hex key/driver by loosening the two screws on the front face of the rotational mount and rotate the face plate (not the mount) until it is in the correct position relative to the orientation of the cylindrical lens. Tighten the two front face screws down one the desired position is reached.
Assembly of OpenSPIM Chamber
- 1x Olympus UMPLFLN 10XW10x/0.3 water dipping objective
- 1x Olympus UMPLFLN 20XW 20x/0.5 water dipping objective
- 2x Machined objective holder rings
- 6x M3 x 8 mm capscrews
- 2x NBR 70 20x3mm O-rings
- 1x Machined or 3D printed sample chamber/chamber holder
- 2x M6 x 8 mm capscrews
- 1x Machined or 3D printed sample chamber
- 1x 2.5 or 3 mm hex key/driver
- 1x 5 mm hex key/driver
How to assemble the OpenSPIM chamber
Put both O-rings into their places in the sample chamber where the objectives will go. Attach the acrylic sample chamber to the metallic chamber base using the two large M6 capscrews so that the round wholes in each piece face each other. Next screw the illumination and detection objective into the machined objective holder rings. Now orient the chamber so that the acrylic face of the chamber without the opening is facing you and the openings are to your left and away from you. Push the 10x/0.3 illumination objective though the metal and the O-ring-equipped acrylic holes. It may require considerable force, it is recommended to moisten the O-rings beforehand. Rotate the objective so that the three objective holder base threaded holes are aligned with the holes in the metallic chamber base and the flat part of the objective ring is flush with the top of the chamber base. Use three M3 x 8 mm screws to attach the objective to the chamber base as tightly as possible. Repeat the same procedure for the 20x/0.5 detection objective.
Assembly of the motor system
- 1x USB-4D-Stage from Picard-Industries
- 1x supplied 4D system sample arm
- 5x M3 x 6 mm capscrews
- 1x NSK 6001Z
- 1x sample pully
- 1x motor pully
How to assemble the OpenSPIM 4D positioning system
Install the ball bearing system into the end of the sample arm where the hole is drilled, make the hole just a few 10's of microns smaller than the outside diameter of the ball bearing system and that it is flush with the bottom face of the sample arm.
Then attach the arm to the system by aligning the holes on the arm that will fit the capscrew heads into them with the M3 threaded holes in the plate attached to the Y motor.
Attach the motor pulley to the motor by tightening it down with a M2.5 set screw to the motor shaft, and drop the sample pulley into the 12 mm ball bearing hole on the sample arm. Finally use a rubber band or large diameter small gauge o-ring to go around both pulleys.
Go back to Step by step assembly