[OpenSPIM] Fwd: [micro-manager-general] Announcement: Micro-Manager 2.0 Alpha

Johannes Schindelin johannes.schindelin at gmx.de
Tue Jul 7 15:30:10 CDT 2015

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [micro-manager-general] Announcement: Micro-Manager 2.0 Alpha
Date: 2015-07-07 21:06
 From: Chris Weisiger <cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu>
To: Micro-Manager General <micro-manager-general at lists.sourceforge.net>
<micro-manager-general at lists.sourceforge.net>

Folks, I'm pleased to announce that the first alpha build of
Micro-Manager
2.0 is now available. Version 2.0 will be a major overhaul of
Micro-Manager's user interface (UI) and of the way the Java layer
organizes
image data. It's designed to be easier to use than 1.4 (i.e. the current
official releases), while remaining backwards compatible with it. We'd
appreciate your assistance in testing it; while we've done a heck of a
lot
of testing already, there's always the potential for bugs to sneak in
unnoticed.

Support for Micro-Manager 1.4 is going to continue for the foreseeable
future; we aren't going to shift all of our development focus to 2.0
until
it's ready. Still, we believe that 2.0 is a major improvement over 1.4.
We've worked really hard to make this version of Micro-Manager the best
it
can be. Examples of some of the many new features in the UI include:

  * An overhauled image display window with controls readily at hand
  * "Inspector" windows for easy access to histograms, metadata, and
more,
allowing for side-by-side comparisons of multiple datasets
  * The ability to synchronize aspects of the display across multiple
windows, so windows can share histogram scalings, always show the same Z
slice, etc.
  * A user profile system so each user of the program can have their own
saved settings
  * Timestamp and scale bar overlays
  * A much better "day/night" system for more pleasant use in darkrooms

Here's a screenshot of the new UI:
http://i.imgur.com/PSqB8jJ.jpg

Additionally, the Java API has been vastly expanded and simplified (the
Core API is untouched). If you're a developer who works with
Micro-Manager,
you should appreciate easy access to image data and metadata, control
and
customization of image display windows, access to events, and more. On
the
flip side, many old methods in the API are unfortunately no longer
available, so your plugins that depend on those methods will need to be
updated. We hope to keep this version of the API stable for many years
come. For more information on the API, please see our wiki
documentation:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Version_2.0

NOTE: as this is an alpha build, we cannot promise that it is "safe". It
does not modify the hardware control systems or the MDA, but data files
it
generates will differ from data files generated in 1.4, if only in the
metadata. While I would love for people to try acquiring data with 2.0,
can't recommend that you do serious, high-stakes science with it just
yet.
Additionally, while 2.0 can read data files generated with 1.4, the
reverse
may not be the case. Be careful about mixing files from 1.4 and 2.0.

You can download the most recent version of the alpha build from here:
http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/nightlyBuilds/2.0.0-alpha/Mac/
http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/nightlyBuilds/2.0.0-alpha/Windows/

If you find bugs, please let us know! If you have comments or feedback,
please let us know! If you have questions or requests, please let us
know!
You can email the main mailing list (
micro-manager-general at lists.sourceforge.net) or our internal email
address (
info at micro-manager.org) for more private reports. Either way, please put
"[2.0]" in the email subject line so we can easily recognize that your
email relates to the alpha.

Additionally, we are moving our development towards using GitHub. Our
GitHub account is here:
https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager

You can file bug reports via the "Issues" link in the top-right. If you
want to download the source code for 2.0, use the "mm2" branch, not the
"master" branch.

Thank you for your time, and thanks for using Micro-Manager!

-Chris and the rest of the Micro-Manager team